Start Date: 04/2017
Type of work: Defence research projects
Participating Countries: EU Member States and Norway
Other partners: European Commission
Within the Research strand of the European Defence Fund, the Commission has earmarked 90 M€ for the Preparatory Action on Defence Research (PADR).
The PADR activities are run by the European Defence Agency (EDA) following the mandate of a Delegation Agreement between the Commission and EDA signed on 31st May 2017. By this agreement the Commission entrusts EDA with the management and implementation of the research projects to be launched within the PADR.
The budget for the PADR related actions is split in three years as follows:
- 25 M€ in 2017 (already committed, first projects starting);
- 40 M€ in 2018 (approved and calls for proposals open for submission);
- 25 M€ in 2019 (to be confirmed and approved).
The Preparatory Action on Defence Research is a concrete step aimed at assessing and demonstrating the added-value of EU supported defence research and technology (R&T). The relevant results are expected to further deepen European defence cooperation, addressing capability shortfalls, and to strengthen European defence stakeholders.
The European Commission launched the PADR with a view of developing a future European Defence Research Programme (EDRP) as part of the EU’s next Multiannual Financial Framework (2021-2027).
Goals of the Preparatory Action for Defence Research
- Demonstrate and assess added-value of EU-supported defence R&T
- Results should foster further cooperation between MoDs and between EU defence industries
- Prepare for a basic act to launch a substantial defence research programme from 2021 on-wards
The PADR 2018 work programme includes the following topics:
An European high-performance, trustable (re)configurable system-on-a-chip or system-in-package for defence applications. The project aims to design and validate a SoC/SiP and as such make a substantial contribution towards the development and manufacturing of European high-performance, trustable (re)configurable SoC/SiP suitable for multiple defence applications;
Towards a European high power laser effector. This topic focus on a research and technological development (R&T) project, later on followed by a development phase, to design and build a European high power laser effector, to become available for defence applications within the next decade;
Strategic technology foresight. This action should aim to provide an effective way for tackling the issue of the critical defence technological dependencies for the EU regarding current and future systems and capabilities.
Their implementation will be through grants. The calls for proposals were published on 15 March 2018 in the Research and Innovation Participant Portal and are accessible from the EDA website.
PADR Projects Information:
PADR 2018 Information Day & Brokerage Event
The event was held on 12 April in Brussels.
Important: The InfoDay, the brokerage sessions and all the related information and material have an informative purpose only. The only legally binding documents are those published in the Research and Innovation Participant Portal.
Important dates 2018
- 15 March 2018: Opening of the Calls for proposals
- 12 April 2018: PADR InfoDay and Brokerage event
- 28 June 2018: Deadline for submission for all Calls
PADR Calls 2017 (CLOSED)
The PADR 2017 work programme included the following topics:
- A technological demonstrator for enhanced situational awareness in a naval environment. The project aimed to show the added value of unmanned systems in enhancing situational awareness while operating alongside and communicating with other manned and unmanned systems;
- Research in technology and products in the context of Force Protection and Soldier Systems. This topic focused on aspects such as future generic open soldier system reference architecture; technology advancements in tailor-made blast, ballistic and Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear (CBRN) protection of military personnel; as well as novel developments in active and passive military camouflage methods;
- Strategic technology foresight. The call requested to develop and validate a methodology and/or process to gather data. These foresight activities will be carried out on a recurring basis. They will be used to develop realistic scenarios of potential future conflicts which will help scoping EU-funded defence research.
Their implementation was done through grants. The calls for proposals were published in the Research and Innovation Participant Portal and were accessible from the EDA website.
PADR 2017 - Information Day & Brokerage Event (CLOSED)
The event was held on 27 June 2017 in Brussels.
Important dates 2017 (CLOSED CALL 2017)
- 7 June 2017: Opening of the Calls for proposals
- 27 June 2017: PADR InfoDay and Brokerage event
- 28 September 2017: Deadline for submission for Force Protection and Soldier
- 28 September 2017: Deadline for submission for Strategic Technology Foresight
- 5 October 2017: Deadline for submission for Technology Demonstrator
More general information on PADR