The EDA and the European Commission would like to announce an Information Day on the Preparatory Action on Defence Research (PADR) and a Brokerage Event in Brussels on 27 June, 2017, from 09:30 to 17:30. Registration will be possible from 24 May (12h00) until 20 June (23:59).
The PADR has the objective to test the added-value of the EU budget supporting defence research, in view of a potential EU programme in the next EU Multi-annual Financial Framework. The PADR will be implemented by the EDA through a Delegation Agreement to be signed between the EDA and the Commission on behalf of the European Union in 2017.
The Work Programme of the PADR 2017 focuses on three topics:
- Unmanned systems in enhancing situational awareness while operating alongside and communicating with other manned and unmanned systems;
- Force protection and soldier systems, including: future generic open soldier system reference architecture, technology advancements in tailor-made blast, ballistic and Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear (CBRN) protection of military personnel and novel developments in active and passive military camouflage methods;
- Strategic technology foresight requesting to propose and validate a methodology and/ or process to gather data, to define scenarios illustrating potential future conflicts supporting the scoping of EU-funded defence research.
The calls for proposals are planned to be published beginning of June 2017.
What will be addressed?
The EDA will give information on the topics of the PADR. Participation modalities and access to the Participant Portal will be explained. A brokerage session will also be organized to help in finding partners for forming consortia.
Who should participate?
The PADR InfoDay 2017 will be a unique opportunity to improve the knowledge about the context, the objectives and the participation modalities of the Preparatory Action. The event will provide opportunities for networking with partners interested in forming consortia.
Therefore, representatives from legal entities established in the 28 Member States of the EU and Norway are welcome. Industry, be it larger companies or SMEs, clusters Defence industry associations, national or European research institutes and universities are all invited to participate.
How to participate?
- You are welcome to register NLT 20.06.2017 on the web-based platform operating from 24.05.2017 (www.b2match.eu/padr2017)
- Your registration is validated or confirmed
- Following the confirmation you are welcome to complete the information on your organization and start networking
Attendance to the workshop will be initially limited to 1 person per organization. Admission of other participants will be on a first-come-first-served basis.
For further information, please contact the European Synergies and Innovation Directorate at PreparatoryAction@eda.europa.eu.
 In line with the objectives set up by the European Council conclusions of 19/20 December 2013, (EUCO 217/13) and as announced in the European Defence Action Plan (COM(2016) 950), the European Commission launched a Preparatory Action on Defence Research – PADR (Commission Financing Decision 2262 dated 11 April 2017).